She has experience representing clients involving the following areas:
- Real estate, including leasing and partnership disputes;
- Construction defect claims, including rights of owners, homeowner’s associations, contractor liens and subcontractor claims;
- Insurance coverage and bad faith claims;
- Fraudulent transfer act claims;
- Intellectual property disputes, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, licensing agreements and royalty disputes;
- Entertainment and media law claims;
- Professional negligence claims involving lawyers and accountants;
- Employment law, including trade secrets, discrimination, noncompetition agreements, and wage and hour issues.
- Prosecuted claims by co-founder of business for breach of contract and breach of duty of good faith and fair dealing.
- Defended claims for copyright infringement, trademark infringement, and false advertising.
- Prosecuted claims and negotiated settlement for unpaid work performed by computer consulting companies arising out independent contractor agreements.
- Prosecuted securities fraud claims against public biotechnology company and its officers for misstated revenue guidance and omissions of material fact related to prostate cancer drug.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and asset freeze against group of sham entities and individuals based on fraud, misrepresentation and violations of Civil RICO Act.
- Successfully negotiated and entered $18 million judgment against defendants for breach of settlement agreement and related confessions of judgment.
- Represented numerous start-up companies in founder, shareholder and employment disputes, including negotiation of severance agreements and buy-out of investments.
- Prosecuted claims against former employee for misappropriation of company information, theft of intellectual property, and embezzlement of corporate funds.
- Defended claims brought for unpaid wages brought by terminated employees against the company and the company’s founders.
- Defended client in federal court jury trial against multiple claims for breach of commercial lease, tortious interference, alter ego and fraudulent transfer claims arising out of divestiture of US retail stores by Canadian parent company.
- Represented individual employees resigning from company regarding claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act claims, and sexual harassment claims; negotiated severance and settlement agreements for individual employees.
- Lead counsel for the entire spectrum of the business litigation process, including discovery, summary judgment, pre-trial motions, depositions, mediation, and trial.
- Defended investor in cannabis business against Washington State Securities Act claim and successfully negotiated settlement after filing motion to dismiss claim.
- Prosecuted Insurance Fair Conduct Act, bad faith and related claims related to denial of coverage for false advertising claim.
- Prosecuted claims by managing member against other members of LLC for breach of fiduciary duty, misrepresentation and dissolution.
- Negotiated interim management agreement for LLC on behalf of managing member in dispute with several other members who invested in company.
- Represented parent corporation of broker subsidiary in claim for securities fraud.
- Defended “Jane Doe” employee against former co-worker’s attempts to reveal identity of the anonymous Amazon post disparaging former co-worker’s book under First Amendment and related laws.
Bar Admissions/Admitted to Practice
Western District of Washington, United States District Court
Western District of Washington, Bankruptcy Court
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Juris Doctorate, University of Washington School of Law (1999)
Order of the Barristers; Moot Court Honor Board -Vice President of Regionals
B.A., Summa cum laude, Washington State University (1996)
Phi Beta Kappa; Varsity Women’s Crew Team
Prior Legal Experience:
- Over 17 years of continuous civil litigation experience at large Northwest firm and small boutique litigation firms.
- Extern/Law Clerk, The Honorable Thomas Zilly, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington (1999)
Professional Honors and Community Activities:
- Washington Law & Politics “Rising Star” (2002-2014)
- KCBA Judicial Selection Committee (2006-2013)
- KCBA Judicial Conferencing Committee (2011-2012)
- KCBA Young Lawyers Division Board of Trustees (2001-2004)
- Fundraising for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society through the “Team in Training”
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Guest Lecturer, “Business Litigation,” Copenhagen Business School (Fall 2014)
- ”The Tension Between the Code of Professional Responsibility and the Attorneys Objective in Interviewing Witnesses,” Class Action Ethics and Other Aggregate Litigation Conference, Lorman Seminars CLE on Class Actions (2013)
- ”Discovery Rules & Tactics,” WSBA CLE Presentation (2010)
- ”Intellectual Property Basics for the Angel Investor,” Keiretsu Forum (2006)
- ”Linking, Framing and Spidering: Copyright Claims after Perfect 10 v. Google,” Terralex Newsletter (2006)
Practice Emphasis/Service Areas:Business Litigation/Lawsuits