“Jonah has taken time to understand my business. He understands my goals and challenges.”
- Phone 206.792.5231
- Cell 206.235.3671
- Fax 206.452.0655
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Download vCard
Jonah is a trial attorney who represents clients in a range of complex commercial and employment disputes. Jonah’s employment litigation practice involves non-compete agreements, trade secrets, wage and hour claims and other matters. His commercial litigation practice involves representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in contract disputes, business torts, intellectual property and securities matters. His clients include individuals, small and large businesses in a range of industries and early-stage technology companies.
Jonah strongly believes that most disputed employment and commercial matters can and should be resolved through creative, negotiated resolutions or motion practice. But Jonah is one of an increasingly rare breed of litigators – a small firm attorney with a big firm background who has also successfully tried cases to verdict in both federal and state court. When negotiations or motion practice cannot resolve an issue, he tirelessly and aggressively works for his clients at trial or arbitration and believes advocacy in the courtroom is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable aspects of the profession.
Outside of his professional life, Jonah enjoys cheering for his two kids at a soccer game. A rock-climbing guide before his legal career, Jonah is still an active climber and tries to make time to climb throughout the United States, Canada, South America and Europe.
- Obtained $4.5 million judgment and $287,000 award of attorneys’ fees and costs against multiple corporate defendants and individual for securities act violations, breaches of fiduciary duty, fraud and violations of the Washington Consumer Protection Act.
- Prevailed on behalf of defendants after 9-day federal trial of complex commercial dispute regarding breach of contract and fraudulent transfer claims; decision upheld on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- After bench trial in King County Superior Court on trial de novo of arbitrated matter, obtained dismissal of plaintiff’s claims as well as cross-claims of corporate codefendant, along with awards of attorneys’ fees against both parties in dispute regarding alleged breaches of contract.
- Secured injunctive relief restoring corporation to possession of its business after unlawful occupation and takeover by former employees and competitors; obtained summary judgment on affirmative claims as well as dismissal of defendants’ counterclaims and an award of attorneys’ fees.
- Negotiated purchase of the Lower Town Wall in Index, Washington, one of the most popular and significant rock climbing areas in the Pacific Northwest, to save the site from granite quarrying operations and preserve it for public recreation.
- Obtained summary dismissal of former employee’s claims for alleged wrongful termination, wage withholding and equitable indemnification.
- In Western District of Washington, on behalf of regional hospital network, obtained summary judgement dismissing all claims of former employee for alleged discrimination and failure to accommodate under Title VII, ADA and WLAD.
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of defendant in commercial dispute and prevailed at subsequent appeal to Division I Court of Appeals upholding disputed evidentiary rulings of trial court.
Bar Admissions/Admitted to Practice:Washington State Bar
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Western and Eastern Washington
Education:J.D., University of Chicago, 2003
B.A., University of Wisconsin, 1996
Prior Professional ExperienceK&L Gates LLP, Seattle WA
Stokes Lawrence, Seattle WA
Languages:Fluent in Spanish
Professional Recognition & Honors:Washington Law & Politics, Rising Star, most recently in 2013
Professional & Community Activities:William L. Dwyer Inn of Court
Board Member, Access Fund, a nationwide advocacy organization involved in promoting public policy, stewardship and conservation, grassroots activism, education and land acquisition for climbing activities.
Jonah also represents various non-profit organizations and individuals pro bono in matters involving election and land use law.
Practice Emphasis/Service Areas:Employment Disputes