With over 12 years of public sector and in-house experience, Sumeer is a seasoned trial lawyer, general counsel, and policy analyst. Having conducted over thirty jury trials, Sumeer has a reputation as a shrewd and seasoned negotiator. As a felony and misdemeanor prosecutor, he resolved thousands of criminal cases.
Sumeer is an accomplished municipal and government counsel, serving state legislators and city agencies. He assists his clients in navigating through complex municipal, state, and federal regulations, such as liquor and marijuana license regulations, building and planning regulations, and general land use regulations. He can develop legislation and a political/legislative strategy to help his clients successfully achieve their policy goals.
By bringing complex and varied experience to his work—that of large-firm attorney, a felony prosecutor, a director in a Fortune 20 company, legal counsel to government agencies and officials, and as a political and policy analyst—Sumeer’s perspective is both nuanced and multi-faceted. He brings a unique ability to see every angle of a matter to all of the issues his clients face.
Additionally, Sumeer serves as Judge Pro Tem in numerous jurisdictions in King and Snohomish Counties. He adjudicates both civil and criminal cases. He brings his experience and perspective from the bench to help his clients understand a judge or jury’s perception of their case. He also serves on the Washington State Executive Ethics Board, a gubernatorial appointment, regulating ethical conduct of Washington State employees.
Outside of his legal career, Sumeer enjoys spending time with his two daughters and wife. Having studied acting through college, and worked as an actor before starting his legal career, Sumeer enjoys local performing arts. He grew up in Eastern Washington growing apples and cherries, and tries to go back to visit the farm as much as possible. He enjoys running and tennis, and is always working on his golf game.
- Sole Prosecutor in numerous serious felony jury trials. Cases ranged from attempted murder, robbery, burglary, and serious assaults.
- Successfully defended a Seattle City Council member in a recall petition action.
- Represented Seattle City agencies in public records litigation.
- Primary trial instructor for large prosecuting agency, teaching advanced trial techniques.
- As Policy Director in the Washington State Senate, advised senators on policy matters, including legislative drafting, political and legislative strategy, and negotiated compromises on major policy and legislative issues.
- Advised police officers, as counsel to the Seattle Police Department, on a range of issues including constitutional policy and procedures, municipal and land use regulations, and other municipal enforcement matters.
- Reviewed and investigated numerous Liquor and Marijuana license applications on behalf of the City of Seattle to ensure all regulatory conditions were met.
- Advised commission members, as counsel to the Seattle Ethics and Elections Committee, Civil Service Commission, and Public Safety Civil Service Commission, on procedural and policy matters.
- Drafted legislation, developed legislative and political strategy, and provided long term policy advice for a major Fortune 20 company.
- Advised federal, state, and local candidates on policy and election matters to help them win elections.
- Provided businesses and non-profit organizations with strategic business development and policy advice to achieve long term sustainability.
Bar Admissions/Admitted to Practice:Washington State Bar, 2002
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. Appeals Court, Ninth Circuit
Education:J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2002
B.A., Washington State University, 1997
Professional Recognition & Honors:Washington Leadership Institute, 2009 Fellow
Judicial Diversity Program, Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Fellow
Professional & Community Activities:Washington State Executive Ethics Board, gubernatorial appointment
WSBA Committee on Professional Ethics
Washington Appleseed, Board Member
Building Changes, Board Member
South Asian Bar Association
Boyer Clinic, Advisory Board Member
William L. Dwyer Inn of Court
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements:Sumeer speaks frequently on effective trial techniques, ethical conduct for attorneys, and government and policy issues.
Sumeer regularly updates articles on his personal blog.
Practice Emphasis/Service Areas:Commercial and Civil Litigation
Municipal Law and Government Policy